post baby exercise

Monday, May 07, 2007

Learning to swim

Yes, I am learning to swim all over again. Or at least, that's what it feels like. Saturday I did a swim clinic where they re-taught us how to swim. It was great. The techniques they taught were much easier than the old way I learned to swim, much more effortless. So starting now, I will be swimming on a weekly basis. I figure if I swim regularly now, I should be ready for my September tri.

And I am also getting fitted for a road bike. A great friend of mine has a spare, so I get to use it. Our plan is to ride once a week, most likely at the Air Force Academy (lots of hills and little traffic). So the swimming and biking portion of my tri is being addressed finally! I'm so excited!!

In other body news, Harsha told me my triceps weren't very strong. Well then, I'll just have to work on those more! ha ha! Actually the swim clinic lady said we use our triceps a lot for swimming, so I really will be working on them. He says the rest of my muscles look great. I will bask in the compliment!

The ladies and I had a great run yesterday. Lots of catching up and running, of course. We did a 12 mile run. Glad I have great ladies to share my long runs with. Last week I made it up to No Name in the rain. Despite the weather, I made it up there in the 3:15 - 3:30 Ascent window. If I can keep up the training the way I have been going, I will be able to break 3:30 with no problems. And I also did a great tempo run in the Garden. Right now, since the distance isn't too much, I have been keeping my average pace around 7:30. I will be adding a half mile each week to the tempo portion, so I expect to start getting a little slower. My goal is to be doing a 7.5 tempo run at an 8:00 pace. It shouldn't be a problem, especially since I am working up to it. I would love to do the Garden 10 in under 80 minutes, but my goal will remain 85. You never know what the day will bring.

So this week will be interesting. The in-laws are here, so not sure how that will impact my workout schedule. I will get my usual mornings, so Wed Incline, Fri Garden Tempo and Sun Long run. Not sure how Tues, Thur & Sat will work out. We'll figure it out as we go and get back to normal next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home