What motivates you?
That is what a girlfriend asked me when we were comparing notes and looking at our online logs. She asked "Is it to beat any of the ladies you run with?" The answer to that is no, since we are all training partners I don't think it would be good for the group to be out to beat each other. Motivate each other to be faster is always a good thing, but I can't say I specifically go out to beat anyone in the group. The group is all within a couple minutes difference, which is why we are compatible training partners. Too many variables are at play to determine who is faster, so that never enters my mind.
What does motivate me is being able to run with Harsha. Harsha has been running rather consistently for the last five months and now he runs with all the fast groups. I am signed up to do the Triple Crown Series again this year and I want to beat my 2005 times. Right now, I would say I can easily do that, even with the course change for race #2. Where the real motivation comes in is Harsha will be running the first two races with me. Now I don't want him to get bored with me and run off ahead by himself. I know I can't challenge him, however I think I can make it a good work out for him.
So as I train, I think "how would Harsha run this right now?" All those pointers he gives me flow through my mind and I try to work on my form. Perhaps it would do me well to be more competitive, but I am content trudging along at the speed that works for me. I don't want to turn into one of those mean competitive people, so I'll remain with the mindset that I want to run with my husband and do the best I can do.
What does motivate me is being able to run with Harsha. Harsha has been running rather consistently for the last five months and now he runs with all the fast groups. I am signed up to do the Triple Crown Series again this year and I want to beat my 2005 times. Right now, I would say I can easily do that, even with the course change for race #2. Where the real motivation comes in is Harsha will be running the first two races with me. Now I don't want him to get bored with me and run off ahead by himself. I know I can't challenge him, however I think I can make it a good work out for him.
So as I train, I think "how would Harsha run this right now?" All those pointers he gives me flow through my mind and I try to work on my form. Perhaps it would do me well to be more competitive, but I am content trudging along at the speed that works for me. I don't want to turn into one of those mean competitive people, so I'll remain with the mindset that I want to run with my husband and do the best I can do.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home