Quick Changes
It's been a couple days and I have had time to think about Sunday's race. I kick myself for not using the inhaler, however I have never had a full out asthmatic fit like that. After my experience, I really appreciate what professional athletes, like my friend Sharon, go through with asthma. I had no idea until Sunday, but now I know first hand. After my experience, I have to make some changes.
I ran this morning. Even though it was a recovery run, there were lots of hills, so I used the inhaler. My breathing was much easier. When my breathing was heavier on the hills, it still felt good. So for the next couple weeks, I will be using my inhaler to get a good feel for what it will do for me and the best way to use it. My friends who use inhalers tell me it will make a world of difference. Let's hope that is the case for me.
And fuel! I'm so bad about eating before and during long runs. This morning, I ate a Pria bar. It doesn't have too many calories, however I think it is enough to give me some energy without weighing down my stomach and causing cramping. Tomorrow I will be training on Barr Trail, so I'll try the Pria Bar before I start and then an hour into it, I'll try either gel or clif blocks. Not sure which I will carry yet... I'll decide tonight when I pack my bag. I'm hoping I can figure out the fuel thing and be peppier the last half of my runs. I have a few weeks to figure it out before my next race. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will run a good race next time around... a steady pace, some pain (I'd say none, but then I wouldn't be pushing hard enough), and overall enjoyment. The worst part about the race Sunday was that I hated every minute of the run after mile 6.
So the rest of the week will be good. I will do Barr Trail tomorrow, Ultimate Conditioning on Thursday, a longer tempo run, 7 miles, Friday, swim Saturday and Bear Creek on Sunday. It is a full week, but not too demanding. Next week will be more laid back.
I ran this morning. Even though it was a recovery run, there were lots of hills, so I used the inhaler. My breathing was much easier. When my breathing was heavier on the hills, it still felt good. So for the next couple weeks, I will be using my inhaler to get a good feel for what it will do for me and the best way to use it. My friends who use inhalers tell me it will make a world of difference. Let's hope that is the case for me.
And fuel! I'm so bad about eating before and during long runs. This morning, I ate a Pria bar. It doesn't have too many calories, however I think it is enough to give me some energy without weighing down my stomach and causing cramping. Tomorrow I will be training on Barr Trail, so I'll try the Pria Bar before I start and then an hour into it, I'll try either gel or clif blocks. Not sure which I will carry yet... I'll decide tonight when I pack my bag. I'm hoping I can figure out the fuel thing and be peppier the last half of my runs. I have a few weeks to figure it out before my next race. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will run a good race next time around... a steady pace, some pain (I'd say none, but then I wouldn't be pushing hard enough), and overall enjoyment. The worst part about the race Sunday was that I hated every minute of the run after mile 6.
So the rest of the week will be good. I will do Barr Trail tomorrow, Ultimate Conditioning on Thursday, a longer tempo run, 7 miles, Friday, swim Saturday and Bear Creek on Sunday. It is a full week, but not too demanding. Next week will be more laid back.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home