post baby exercise

Friday, June 15, 2007

Body image?

Body image, this is always an interesting topic. In this month's issue of Runner's World, there is an article about weight and running. It lists out how much time one would shave off races, if they lost 5lbs, 10lbs, etc. So the first thing that goes through my mind is "how much weight do I have to lose?" It took me a few minutes of thinking about it to realize that I am already at an ideal weight for myself. I did a quick search for the BMI calculator, which calculated me at 20.1 to 20.4, based on my 5'7" frame and weight that fluctuates up and down by three pounds. It is pretty good, when considering that 18.5 to 24.9 is within the normal weight range.

So why is the first thought that goes through my mind, "how much should I lose?" I guess I have to give the catch all answer that it is something that has been programmed since I was a teenager. I'm much healthier now. My weight doesn't yo-yo. I'm very committed to exercising. Still I have to stop to think about losing weight, it doesn't just come to me automatically that I am where I need to be. I wonder if this will change with age? I wonder, if it does change, will I remain at a weight I am happy with? I sure hope so.

I think of healthy women and I think of all the wonderfully strong, active women that I am friends with, related to, or just see around. I think of my grandma, who is 84 and still walking regularly, lifting weights, stretching and doing all her own cleaning and gardening. I wonder if they have the same doubts about their body image that I have. I'm almost sure they do, however they are probably not as hard on themselves as I am, that is what my Harsha tells me. So I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself... but then there is that nag in my mind about my dad saying I aged... that's an altogether different story though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home